Joel is an associate practising primarily in the areas of corporate finance and securities, public and private mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and commercial law. Joel joined the firm as a summer student in 2016 and articled with the firm in 2017-2018, during which time he completed a three-month secondment in the Corporate Finance Branch of the Ontario Securities Commission.
He works across a number of industries including technology and FinTech, cannabis, financial services, private equity, esports and entertainment
Recent firm mandates that Joel has been involved with include:
- Flower One Holdings Inc.’s public offerings for $50 Million and $20.85 Million
- The Special Committee of Starlight U.S. Multi-Family (No. 1) Value-Add Fund in the sale of its 1,193 Class A Institutional Quality Multi-Family Units for approximately US$239.6 Million
- The Special Committee of Starlight Multi-Family (No. 5) Core Fund in the $1.4 billion acquisition of Starlight by Tricon Capital Group
- Difference Capital Financial Inc. in its $110 Million acquisition of Mogo Finance Technology Inc.
- Sangoma Technologies Corporation’s in its $23 Million bought deal prospectus offering
- Canopy Growth Corporation’s bought deal prospectus offering of $200 Million
Joel is a supervising lawyer with the Osgoode Venture Capital Clinic which provides legal services to early stage entrepreneurial ventures in the financing and equity structuring stages of growth.
Joel earned a J.D. from the Faculty of Law at the University of Ottawa and a J.D. from the College of Law at Michigan State University. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from Dalhousie University. During law school, Joel was a caseworker at the Alvin L. Storrs Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic and a member of the law school's hockey team. Joel received the Jurisprudence Achievement Award for the highest standing in the tax clinic and the Ed Ratushny Prize for the highest standing in a public law course. Joel spent a semester abroad during law school studying at the University of Puerto Rico.
Joel’s interests include spending time at the cottage, travelling, playing guitar and hockey.