LL.B., Western University, 2005
B.A. (Honours), University of Toronto, 2002
CICA In-depth Tax Course, Parts I and II
Canadian Bar Association, Canadian Tax Foundation, International Fiscal Association, Law Society of Ontario
Called to the Ontario Bar 2006
Katy M. Pitch
Katy Pitch is a partner and head of the firm’s Tax Practice.
Her practice focuses on all areas of domestic and cross-border corporate income tax law (both public and private), including mergers and acquisitions, corporate transactions and reorganizations, banking transactions, the taxation of mining companies, investment and hedge funds, private equity and executive compensation.
In her taxation of executive compensation practice, Katy is involved in all aspects of the design and implementation of tax efficient executive compensation plans for public and private companies including equity and non-equity based incentive compensation arrangements.
Katy also frequently advises companies and investment funds on the taxation issues surrounding the digital economy initiatives, including FinTech and Blockchain. She is a regular speaker and writer on the taxation of cryptocurrency.
Katy is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Canadian Bar Association and the International Fiscal Association. She is currently an editor of Thomson Reuters' Taxation of Executive Compensation and Retirement Journal.
In 2018, Katy spoke at the Canadian Technology Law Association (CAN-TECH) conference on the topic of, Avoiding Cross-Border Pitfalls for Technology Companies.
Katy received the "Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40" Award in 2018 and also recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2019 as a leading lawyer to watch in the area of Corporate Tax.
Katy's recent work includes advising on:
- Abacus Health Products, Inc. Completes $34.5 Million Bought Deal Prospectus Offering
- 3 Sixty Secure Acquires INKAS® Security Services Ltd.
- Canada Goose Acquires Baffin Inc.
- Mount Logan Capital Inc. Completes Plan of Arrangement and $40.5 Million Financing and Lists on Aequitas NEO Exchange
- Melior Resources Executes Arrangement Agreement with ASX Listed Metallica Minerals
- Canopy Growth Corporation Completes $540 Million Acquisition of Hiku Brands Company Ltd.
- Galaxy Digital Completes Arrangement Transaction and $305 Million Offering
- Fiera Capital Corporation’s acquisition of CGOV Asset Management
- Cipher Pharmaceuticals Completes Acquisition of Canadian Business Portfolio of Cardiome Pharma for $25.5 Million
- Cannabis Growth Opportunity Corporation’s $38.7M IPO
- Tokyo Smoke Completes Merger with DOJA Cannabis to Form Hiku Brands
- Knowledge First Financial Inc. and Knowledge First International Inc. Complete Acquisition of Heritage Education Funds Group of Companies